Skip to main content

Day Of Independence: The Day Of Being Free

Independence Day, Araw ng Kalayaan, they look different, but have only one meaning: the celebration of our freedom from the invaders of our country. But why do we celebrate it? Is it because it's a non-working holiday? Is it because we are free to do whatever we want on that day? Or is it because of something much larger, much more important than these things?

What is independence? Independence is a condition of a nation, country, or state in which its residents and population, or some portion thereof, exercise self-government, and usually sovereignty, over the territory. It's about freedom. Freedom from everything.

(http://firsttimetravels.com/taal-city-birthplace-of-the-maker-of-the-first-philippine-flag/)
When this question was asked, I was left thinking about something that I didn't know I would be thinking of. I've been celebrating Independence Day since I was a little kid, but up to now, I still don't know why we celebrate it. I don't know why I didn't become curious as to why we celebrate this holiday. I did some thinking, and by some, I mean a lot of thinking. This is what I thought. Independence Day is a day of tribute, a tribute to our freedom.

A tribute to the people who sacrificed their lives so that we can live freely today, a tribute of their hardships, and their triumphs. We celebrate this day, so that we remember all of what's happened before, to relive the moments, whether good, or bad, and we celebrate this because we are free. We celebrate this, so that we can cement our freedom and remember and cherish it forever.

This is not just a day where we sleep all day and forget to do our assignments. This is the day where we celebrate the greatest victory we have ever had. This is the day where our flag was raised. This is the day when our ancestors were liberated from our captors.

What a great day this is. Independence Day is not just a day where we can relax all day, this is the day, where we were free of everything. Free from hardships, free from evil-doers, free from bloody endings.

Don't be afraid to fight for what you stand. Our heroes gave their lives so that our country can be free, and we can't let captors capture our country again. We need to fight. We cannot let them use us and torture us. Let's stand for what's right and let's show them that the Filipinos are not weak, let's show them that we are the strongest.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Post-It Reaction: The State Of The Nation Address 2018

The president has released another bombardment of statements in the form of the SONA, The State of The Nation Address. Once again, I am here to share my thoughts and opinions on what our dear president has said during the said event. There are a lot of good points that he has said and I would just like to give a reaction. The biggest statement that he has said that everyone is talking about is "Your concern is human rights, my concern is human lives." Now, what he said was right and wrong. Right in the sense that he actually cares about human lives but wrong in the sense that he doesn't care about human rights. He needs to focus on these both, as him actually not giving a damn about human rights is actually damaging his and the country's reputation. The most ear-catching moment was when I heard that he wants to create a new department, called the Department of Disaster Management, which is for me, an amazing idea. Think of this, a department that actuallt helps out ...

Dreams Maketh Futures

Dreams. These are the things we hope to achieve, the person as we hope to become. These dreams of ours are what drive us to achieve what we want in life. Dreams are kinda like the schematics, the paths, the guides that can make our futures brighter. Your dreams can make your future. Our dreams can guide us into making our futures a successful and a wonderful one. Let's say that you want be a doctor. You're dreaming of being a doctor, so you're gonna do your best to be a doctor. You're gonna try to get high grades and to be excellent in school, just so that you can be a doctor. You're gonna do everything it takes to be a doctor, and you're not gonna give up until you reach your dream. See what I mean? Your dreams can make your future. Think about this. Dreaming is already similar to planning to your future. You're already planning what you want to be, when you want to be that, why you want to be that. Like I've stated earlier, dreams are your blueprin...

Poverty Violates Human Rights

"Coming together with those furthest behind build an inclusive world of universal rights and dignity" Rights; perhaps one of the most controversial topics that we have ever had. This year marks the 70th anniversary of the proclamation of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights. It is important to recall the fundamental connection between extreme poverty and human rights, and that people living in poverty are disproportionately affected by many human rights violations. This year, the UN is looking to put a stop to global poverty. When I was reading about the theme on the website, it was quite interesting. Mr. Joseph Wresinski is one of the few people who has connected human rights and poverty. He appealed to the Human Rights Commission to examine the question of extreme poverty and human rights and eloquently captured the connection between human rights and extreme poverty with this :  “Wherever men and women are condemned to live in extreme pove...